Mission and Vision
The Board of Directors of the Ana G. Mendez University System, in harmony with its fiduciary duty to ensure the proper development of the University system, approved on March 28, 2012 the revisionof the new Vision 2015. The Strategic Vision statement is the main policy document to guide the long-term institutional development. The review process is coordinated by the Vice President of Planning and Academic Affairs covered a period of 12 months and included the direct and active participation of the entire SUAGM’s university community (Universidad del Turabo , Universidad del Este , Universidad Metropolitana,Sistema TV, Ana G. Mendez Virtual Campus and AGMUS campuses located in the United States.
The Ana G. Méndez University System (AGMUS) is a non-profit institution of higher education whose principal mission is to promote the cultural, social and economic development and well-being of the Puerto Rican society, as well as of other Hispanic communities outside of Puerto Rico, by offering educational opportunities for the benefit of the communities which it serves.
SUAGM operates and develops its educational mission through an integrated system composed of:
- Universidad del Este (UNE)
- Universidad del Turabo (UT)
- Universidad Metropolitana (UMET)
- Ana G. Méndez University-Virtual Campus (UAGM)
- System TV-Ana G. Méndez University Channel
- Central Administration
Compliance with the educational mission of AGMUS is the function and responsibility of the institutional units of AGMUS-UNE-UNE, UT, UMET, UAGM and System TV. The Central Administration’s function is to advise, facilitate and provide support to the institutional units in different specialized areas, as well as to ensure the development and proper compliance with the policies and procedures of the System.
To fulfill its mission, AGMUS develops its functions, initiatives and projects within the framework of the following general objectives:
- Establish, develop, direct and supervise institutions and centers of post-secondary and higher education in Puerto Rico, the United States and abroad, that provide academic preparation offers at all educational levels, as authorized by the laws, regulations and the respective licensing and accrediting entities.
- Establish, implement and evaluate teaching programs of the highest academic relevance and excellence, according to the needs and interests of the various sectors of the communities which it serves.
- Establish, implement and evaluate continuing education, adult education programs and others of a non-traditional nature.
- Establish and develop academic and scientific research programs, both at a bachelor’s and graduate level, aimed at the creation of knowledge as well as to contribute solutions to the needs of the community which it serves.
- Develop a leading role in service and public function for the discussion, analysis and proposal of effective solutions to the social, economic and environmental challenges of the community which it serves.
- Promote constant innovation through the application of technology to all its academic, student and administrative processes.
- Establish auxiliary companies related to its academic operation, as well as business activities unrelated to the academic world, that contribute to the financial strength of the organization.
- Develop and identify new sources of income and external funding to add economic resources to support its mission and educational goals.
- Maintain a sound administration and a solid and responsible fiscal operation to guarantee the future presence and development of the organization.
Towards the year 2020, the Ana G. Méndez University System (AGMUS) will be recognized as an institution of excellence in learning, research and service, with a great social responsibility and a growing global projection.
AGMUS will stand out for its contribution the economic and social development of the country, providing innovative solutions to the development needs of Puerto Rico. It will be recognized as the leading institution in service and education of the Hispanic communities outside of Puerto Rico, in the United States and other communities it serves.
AGMUS will be characterized as a transforming entity of constant innovation, great financial strength and centered in the human being, making effective use of its technological, physical and management resources to support its mission.
To attain its Vision, AGMUS will establish strategies, short and long-term goals and initiatives, both systemic and institutional, following the structure of eight vectors of strategic priority. These vectors are classified as fundamental, support, measurement and improvement.
Fundamental vectors are the areas of greatest strategic relevance, since they pertain to key aspects of the university mission. The four fundamental vectors are: Academia, Academic and Scientific Research, Student Services and Development and Public Function.
Support vectors are those areas that must be strengthened and developed since they serve as support to reach the goals in the fundamental areas or vectors. The tree support vectors are: Human Resources and Organizational Development, Physical and Technological Infrastructure and Fiscal Strengthening.
Measurement and Improvement Vectors
All vectors or institutional areas must be subject to measurement and assessment processes to verify their levels of achievement and effectiveness, whether academic, student or administrative. Likewise, all the areas of institutional development will continue implementing qualitative improvement and development processes. The Institutional Quality and Effectiveness vector will develop verification processes and will generate information that will enable the raising of the quality and continuous improvement through all the other the strategic vectors.