History

History

Imagen de edificio del Puerto Rico Junior College

The history of the Ana G. Méndez University System throughout its 65 years, may be summarized in a single word: success.

Biography of Mrs. Ana G. Méndez

Chronological History of the Ana G. Méndez University System:

  • 1941   Ana González de Méndez, Alfredo Muñiz Souffront and Florencio Pagán Cruz, founded the Puerto Rico High School of Commerce in Río Piedras. This institution later became the Puerto Rico Junior College (PRJC).
  • 1949   On May 8, the El Mundo newspaper reported the founding of the Puerto Rico Junior College, located in Río Piedras, next to the Puerto Rico High School of Commerce.
  • 1959   On May 1, the Puerto Rico Junior College, with an enrollment of 825 students, received the accreditation of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
  • 1967   The main building of the Puerto Rico High School of Commerce was acquired and the number of students increased to 3,370.
  •            On January 11 of that year, the Jesús T. Piñero Student Center was inaugurated in its Cupey campus.
  • 1968   The Junior College was transferred, with 207 students, to its third campus in the Turabo Valley in Gurabo.
  • 1969   On June 18, the Puerto Rico Junior College Association assumed a new name when it was legally incorporated as the: Ana G. Méndez Educational Foundation.
  • 1972   The PRJC campus located in Gurabo became the Colegio Universitario del Turabo [Turabo University College], an institution which offered programs leading to a bachelor’s degree.
  • 1973   The doctoral program in Education established between the Ana G. Méndez Foundation and the De Nova University was inaugurated in the state of Florida. Fifteen (15) professors benefitted from the program.
  • 1974   On August 25, Ana G. Méndez resigned as Chairperson of the Board of Directors of the Educational Foundation. On September 26, the Board of Directors appointed José F. Méndez as President of the Ana G. Méndez Educational Foundation.
  • 1975   The number of students enrolled in the Puerto Rico Junior College reached the amount of 5,691.
  • 1976   The number of students enrolled in the Turabo University College was 4,445.
  • 1979   The Board of Directors approved the Institutional Master Plan, which would be implemented in the coming years, for the purpose of establishing projections in the enrollment, academic programs, teaching methods and student services.
  • 1980   The PRJC campus in Cupey became the Colegio Universitario Metropolitano, [Metropolitan University College], which was subsequently called (in 1985), the Universidad Metropolitana (UMET) [Metropolitan University]. This campus became the second institution of SUAGM to offer bachelor’s degree programs.
  • 1981   The Turabo University College began to offer programs at a graduate level an its name was changed to Universidad del Turabo [University of Turabo].
  • 1983   The Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools accredited the Special Educational Services Program (PROSEE) [Spanish acronym] and received, in the United States, the Program Excellence awar the National University Continuing Education Association.
  • 1985   Channel 40 (WMTJ-TV) was established, now called System TV. On April 22, 1985, for the first time in Puerto Rico, classes were offered through a television channel.
  • 1987   The Ana G. Méndez Educational Foundation became the first university of the private sector to sign a collaboration agreement with the University of Puerto Rico.
  • 1988   The Metropolitan University began offering programs leading to a master’s degree.
  • 1990   The University of Turabo established the School of Engineering.
  • 1992   The Puerto Rico Junior College became the Colegio Universitario del Este (CUE) [University College of the East], whose campus is located in Carolina. The CUE, in turn, inaugurated the International School of Tourism and Hotel Management.
  • 1993   On July 15, the Board of Directors approved the amendment of the legal name of the Ana G. Méndez Educational Foundation, Inc. Since then, it has been known as the Sistema Universitario Ana G. Méndez, Inc. [Ana G. Méndez University System, Inc.].
  • 1995   The Metropolitan University was selected Model Institution of Excellence (MIE) by the National Science Foundation.
  • 1996   On July 31, 1996, after signing an agreement between the Tourism Company and the Colegio Universitario del Este, the International School of Tourism and Hotel Administration was established.
  • 1999   Channel 40 was able to transmit interactive television, from coast to coast, in Puerto Rico. That same year the Educational Resources Center was inaugurated, through an agreement with the Televisión del Pueblo de Puerto Rico [Television of the People of Puerto Rico], Channel 6 and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
  • 2001   The Universidad del Turabo established its first online master’s program in the Graduate School of Administration.
  • 2003   SUAGM inaugurated its first campus in the United States, the Metro Orlando Campus, in Florida.
  • 2006   SUAGM inaugurated the South Florida Campus in Miami.
  • 2010   SUAGM inaugurated the Tampa Bay Campus.
  • 2012   SUAGM inaugurated the Capital Area Campus in Maryland.
  • 2013   The Ana G. Méndez University –Virtual Campus was established.
  • 2014   The Culinary Arts laboratories of the Universidad Del Este were inaugurated in Washington, D.C.
  • 2015   The Dallas Area Campus inaugurated in Dallas, Texas. 

Biography of Mrs. Ana G. Méndez